Translate

Monday, March 26, 2012

Unique Bridesmaids


(From left to right) My baby sister, soul sister,
 my sister, my life long friend, & my high school bestie
Thanks for the picture Rosalinda Chapa
This is something people have come to know as the Bride picking the UGLIEST dress for the bridesmaids dress. I don’t know if it’s a conscious decision or not. I have been in Quinceañeras and weddings and it’s always the same thing, a dress that I will never wear again. 

Why do that to the women that are supposed to be the closest to you? From what I understand it’s because that way the bridesmaids won’t outshine the bride. No matter what, the Bride will always stand out, and look radiant because she is in love and it’s HER day. I didn’t want my beautiful bridesmaids in yucky color or an ugly style. I did something completely different. Since everything in the wedding had the touch of US in it, why not let the bridesmaids be the same. I went with my Maid of Honor and picked a color and got free fabric swatches at a fabric store. Had a meeting with my bridesmaids and gave them their sample. Of course two bridesmaids were in California so theirs was mailed. They were given the instruction of finding a color similar to the one chosen, to stay in the family of the color.






Bridesmaid that came to the rescue
They were also explained that they could wear a cocktail or formal dress; it was completely up to them. Why? Because they all have very different personalities, they represent all of mine. I let them pick their own shoes, just advised to stay in the colors agreed. Their makeup, hairstyles and jewelry their own to fit them uniquely. Why force them to wear something that won’t be them? All to be unified, no that would not be happening in MY wedding. I trusted all my girlfriends. Two are my sisters, my lifelong friend, and two best friends. If I don’t trust them by now, I should not have them in my wedding. My two sisters were my maids of honor and they chose to wear the same dress, but wore different shoes and hairstyles. They did look different. The way I chose to handle the dress situation worked to our advantage. The night before the wedding, one of my bridesmaids looked at her beautiful couture dress brought in from California and she had a spot that was only made worst by trying to clean it.


With no time and almost panicking, one of my other bridesmaids stepped up and went home to get a dress she had in the family color. It fit her and it tied in with the colors of the wedding. If I would have had them all in the same dress, there would have been no time to find an exact duplicate. We got a lot of compliments for the way they all looked different, yet everyone knew they were the bridesmaids. I loved the way they all looked unique.

No comments: