Translate

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Creativity Runs in the Family

With the artist Leon


For years I have been attracted to art, only a few years ago I started getting my hands dirty and actually started to make it. My sisters and I all have a creative side. My sister moved to California a few years ago in pursuit of her own creative dream of acting and her passion of the theater is paying off.  She has been busy auditioning, being in several plays a made television appearances and now she has her first film opportunity, Dark Consequences. (Everyone should go like their page and watch the preview) <<< Especially because she is my sister.







Using my canvas to make his art
My younger sister is a Martha Stewart in the making, although she does not pursue it because she becomes a little obsessed. She helped me plan majority of my wedding. Now her son is another story. His name is Leon and he is following in my footsteps. He is attracted to art and has been since a young age. I try to encourage him not just because I would want him to be like me (that is only part of the reason) but because he likes it at such a young age. Art is an important part of a child's development. I wish someone would have fed my art curiosity when I was his age. I can only imagine where I would be now.




His artwork from his 1st exhibit






My sister let him spend a month from his 
summer vacation with our other sister in 
California. She continued to feed that art interest and he was in an art exhibit. My little man sold his first piece! I was so excited. I remember his phone call. FYI He calls me Nani... 

Nephew: Nani I sold my painting!

Me: Wow look at you amor!! What was it?
Nephew: It was a Lion.
Me: You are an artist.
Nephew: I know...






Here he is admiring my own artwork





That is a child for you innocent and he does not really know what is happening. If he gets older and does not pursue art, I will not force him, but in the mean time i will encourage it. I give him my student grade art materials as soon as I replace mine.










Being photographed with his artwork





Now 6 months later from his 1st art exhibit though his school he was entered for the art show at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. He is too young and he does not understand what that is but he had fun participating. They had an exhibit at the Jr. High School where all the students in the nearby schools winners were displayed. Of course we went to support him and too take pictures. We are so proud of him and hope he continues in the path that makes him happy. He did not win but he received a black ribbon which means he was a Finalist. My mother sure gave us creative genes. 





1 comment:

carolynd said...

good article - it is fun to see him pursuing his art.