Translate

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Perfectly Fine to be REAL

I know I’ve talked about this before and there are thousands of posts on other blogs about this but I had to get this off my chest. There is this horrible obsession that society has to dictate that being incredibly sickly thin is attractive. Healthy slim is one thing, but when it's so thin that you look sick, it's not right in any way. It’s not attractive in a female or in men. Not even for gay men! Real women have curves, hips, breasts etc.


Real women with real bodies,
 yet considered plus size models

I know someone special not just beautiful outside but with a great heart. This is not just my opinion because I know this person. Too many people will have to be wrong.
No names will be used. If they choose to express who they are, they will.

The sad story is that this person met a special someone; they had great conversations, funny constant text messages and very romantic emails. Great start if you have that much to talk about, because that’s what’s left once the physical attraction is gone. Yet after a few what seemed lovely days together, even meeting each others parents (which in anyone’s eyes means serious) this person I know received an email from that “special” person. Loosely basing this, because I did read this email and to make the story short:

Had an amazing time, I can see this being a long term relationship, but you need to loose weight first. Get to ___ weight and let me know when you get there. I loved your personality and your face, but I need you to loose weight, because I like the thinner look. I’m looking for the whole package.

I can not be the only one to say WOW this really happened? Even if someone is not your type physically you don’t dictate to them that you want them to look like to be with you. The person I know is not fat or even chunky so I don’t know what STUPID was looking at. My confusion comes from, what the obviously STUPID person did. Arranged a meeting with their parents because they were in town only for a few days. Then STUPID still made it a point to meet my friend’s family the following day. Only conclusion is that there was real interest involved, but STUPID’S need to be accepted by society was greater. To fit with what society says is attractive, the sickly thin.

Really STUPID?

People are superficial, even if we say we are not. We do fall for what is outside first. Attraction is very important, we all know this. The problem comes from when we care about what society dictates is attractive to us. We all CAN NOT be attracted to the same types of people. Then it would be the Stepford Wives everywhere. We were made differently, some brunets, some blondes some redheads. We were made with different body shapes. Different traits make us attractive to different people, we all won’t have everything and NO ONE is perfect regardless what they think.




Different nationalities also have different traits, but for some reason only in America we want to look like waifs. I am like anyone else that wants to loose weight when I have gained too much, but never do I want to look unhealthy thin. This is not to criticize the naturally slim or healthy slender females. It is the sickly skinny that I am speaking out about. I talk to people about this all the time and both men and women always say that look is disgusting. So if the general public, who makes up society does not like it, why are the models waifs? Why are the mannequins at the stores not realistic bodies? Why is the media always showing men and women who look like they have not even gone through puberty selling clothing? This is not healthy for those people to look this way. It leads to eating disorders and other issues.


India's Aishwarya Rai and Guatemala's Jessica Scheel
 examples of REAL beautiful women

If you go to another country this is not the norm. The few countries that this was starting to happen in they started to do something about it to stop it. It’s so sad that ours is the only society that continues to influence their youth to aspire to look sick. The realty stars for example, some of the Real House wives of where ever are full of Botox and liposuction and constantly starving looking. You never see them eat, even when they are at restaurants.


This ignorance needs to stop, before all women end up with fertility problems out of lack of nutrition. Too late that is already happening! If people really stood up for this, and were verbal about this, maybe we would go back to the time when Marilyn Monroe a size 12 or 16 it’s not ever been clear, Elizabeth Taylor, Betty Page and today’s Sofia Vergara.

Beautiful women Tongolele and Rita Haywarth
This is affecting young girls to think that is how they have to look. Youth is a very sensitive age and to add to them the pressure of being that thin is not easy. I know from experience the want to be thin when I was a teenager. Growing up with two naturally super thin sisters (due to fast metabolism) I felt different. For other reasons that I won’t discuss, I felt the need to be thin. I have a very Latin body and I won’t ever be a size 4 unless I starve myself to death. Yet when girls are young, they care to be accepted and think what they see on TV or on magazines is the right way. Its not! We need to stop caring what people think and be happy with ourselves.

No comments: